MSP is a Landscape Architecture design practice dedicated to creating landscapes that are both beautiful and tackle the landscape’s greatest challenges. We are advocates for the planet while we help vision and build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our vision demands that we push ourselves to transcend conventional thinking in pursuing this mission. With the potential to radically improve quality of life for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something new, something fresh, something achievement — help us build it!
Associate/Senior Landscape Architect
You will be a key member of the MSP team in New York City working at all scales and across international boundaries. The role is tasked with making early tangible concepts, starting from deep research and synthesis, and executed in the context of iteration and ideation. As a passionate proponent of landscape design, you will:
- Develop design strategy for early-stage public realm projects
- Be hands on with the design and delivery of storyboards, hand sketches, models and other artifacts that serve to test the viability of design solutions
- Be insatiably curious and drive design and experimentation that can validate or challenge existing assumptions while anticipating latent project needs
- Communicate design through clear and elegant graphics, leveraging the power of storytelling, rational thinking, and human emotion
- Demonstrate proactive and razor-sharp attention to the alignment of project scope with resources to drive efficiencies
Our collaborative environment places a high value on design contribution at all staff levels and throughout all phases of project development. In collaboration with ASLA National Design Medalist Martha Schwartz and studio leadership, the successful candidate will work at all stages to support the execution of projects domestically and internationally. This is a unique opportunity to participate in the shaping of a new studio – a “start-up with a legup” – re-inventing itself as one of North Americas premiere design practices.
With a robust portfolio of built work internationally, we continue to expand our pursuit of what a landscape can be, building upon the knowledge acquired with years of continued international influence with many exciting ongoing and new public realm and infrastructure projects, regional and landscape masterplans and mixed-use development.
What we expect:
- Landscape Architecture graduates – BLA or MLA with a minimum of 5 years’ experience.
- A keen listener with unique talents at synthesis of information quickly.
- An ability to execute with design excellence.
- Excellent design, communication, and coordination skills, including the ability to sketch/develop designs on paper as well as digitally.
- Self-starter with a desire to expand their own knowledge and skills for the express benefit of a designfocused practice – and the initiative in sharing recommendations for said benefit in the form of
operational/business processes, systems, and procedures.
- You have direct project experience overseeing staff in the technical execution of work as well as direct client contact and comfort coordinating with consultant teams.
- You know your tools, demonstrating proficiency at Rhino, Lumion, Grasshopper, AutoCAD, and Adobe
- Positive attitude, responsible and accountable.
- Practical firm experience designing projects but also progressing them through design development and tender documentation phases.
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and communication skills for effective interaction with staff and teams, clients, approval authorities and the public.
- A keen focus on project profitability and understanding of what it takes to manage to this.
- Ability to work across multiple simultaneously projects.
- Experience in working on a variety of scales and typologies varying from master planning to garden-scale landscapes.
- Mentor team members on building materials and construction technology, materials and installation, technical detailing and evolving methods and material.
- High-level of English language skills (written and spoken).
- A bias towards action.
- You have strong abilities in both design process and execution with a specialty in either visualization, modeling, design research, scripting. Please share your portfolio with us.
- International and USA experience
- Demonstrated Revit/Building Information Modeling (BIM) experience
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Parametric design (Grasshopper)
- Experience in 3D printing
- Construction documentation and specification writing experience
- Immediate availability
- Relevant working permit
- Additional degrees in the allied design disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in languages other than English, including Arabic and Chinese
- Define design issues and synthesizes site inventory and analysis
- Generate/develop the “DRIVERS” that will shape the design concepts
- Assists with the preparation and final oversight of presentation graphics including conceptual plans, reports, diagrams, detailed design, and construction documents.
- Review and ensure local building codes and requirements in the preparation of drawing packages
- Engage actively in design coordination and design review (quality control) to ensure the design is serving the ‘remit’, including the correction of red lines
- Prepare reports, presentations, and presentation graphics.
- Manage project staffing and budgets assisting the Directors with assessing future project and resource needs
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate project record filling
- Assists with tracking project fees and time spent of team
- Assists with input to billing schedule
- Leads and organizes teams, tasks, information
- Manages and coordinates sub-consultants
- Manages client communication as primary contact
- Monitors client satisfaction against service
- Leads client and consultant meetings
- Participates in and leads (as may be required) client and consultant meetings
Responsibilities will include:
1. Design duties:
2. Project management duties:
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience
Application: Please send your CV and portfolio (max 6MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we are only able to respond to shortlisted candidates.
No agencies please.
Martha Schwartz Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.